2002 Mar 20 19:44

[vox] winmail.dat (TNEF) attachments

Every once in a while, when people where I work send me attachments,
either their client (most likely Outlook of some flavor) or some mail
server (Exchange, maybe?!) decide to convert attached files (eg, DOC, PDF)
into this seemingly unreadable "winmail.dat" file.

I quick Google.com search hit a message saying it's possible to exract the
actual files out of these "TNEF" (Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format)
attachments.

A quick search at Freshmeat.net came up with "Fenton", a little GUI program
which shows you what files are stored in the 'winmail.dat' file, and lets
you pull them out. :)

I thought I'd share it here, in case anyone else had ever come across
these irritating little files :)

  http://www.fentun.com/