January 6: Social gathering
2002 Mar 20 11:14

Re: [vox] Crossover Plugin?

You can get Crossover at http://www.codeweavers.com; I guess it's part
of the WINE project.

It supports QuickTime 5, Windows Media 6.4, Windows Real Player 8, and a
bunch of other formats.  As I mentioned, I can now listen to KXJZ
streaming on my Linux desktop (though I'm told by their engineers that
starting next week KXJZ will begin streaming in RA format as well -- I
don't know why I'm obsessed with this particular issue).

There's a trial version which works fine though it pops up nag windows.

Installation was easy and painless for me, and aside from a couple of
minor issues with ensuring the NS 6.2 can see the proper plugins, it's
working just fine.  It's supposed to work well with Netscape, Konqueror,
Opera (I think), and Mozilla (although there is a bug in Mozilla,
apparently, which prevents it from seeing Windows media streaming files
-- so I just have a launcher to WM on my panel, and a list of streaming
URL's that I listen to bookmarked).

There's a review of the product at
http://www.mozillanews.org/index.php3?article=f9ff6612267ed09a46649ba2df4d673f

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 10:55, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> what's crossover?  i know that plugger can view quicktime, but it's some
> version of quicktime that's hardly ever used (i think.  i'm not really
> knowledgable at all in multimedia stuff).
>
> what can crossover do that plugger can't?  i might be interested myself.
>
> pete
>

> begin Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>
> > I just shelled out $25 for the Crossover plugin.  Holy cow!  Now I can
> > finally watch those movie trailers on Apple's website, and listen to
> > KXJZ live on my desktop!
> >
> > Having said that, has anyone encountered any major issues with Crossover
> > that I should be aware of before they come up and explode in my face?
> >
> > Richard
> > (Who hasn't bothered with Windows for almost a full month now -- wahoo!)

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com
Black-Clad Gaming: http://www.black-clad.com