2002 Mar 17 15:27

Re: [vox] SIGs?

On Saturday, March 16 2002 02:58 pm, nbs wrote:
> Is there currently any interest in SIGs (Special Interest Groups) in LUGOD?
>
> (I'm thinking we'd probably only start off with some topic-specific
> mailing lists, but perhaps one day, when we hit the 1000-member mark ;)
> we could even have more meetings a month)
>
> When you look at a PC user group, there are often many SIGs:
> a new user SIG, this-and-that-application SIGs, a graphics SIG, etc.
>

> With LUGOD, I can easily think of a few SIGs:
>
>   New Users    ("Gnubies"?)

*groan*

>   Perl         ("Davis Perl Mongers"?)

This would be cool, I'm recently bought a copy of the camel book, and am
using it to learn perl. I've quickly discoverd that perl rocks.

>   C/C++
>   PDA          ("ELGOD - Embeded Linux Group of Davis" ;) )
>
> ... and perhaps even SIGs on various popular distributions (RedHat, Debian,
> SuSE, Mandrake)

Seems a little much, and could cause distro holy wars, which are a bad thing.

I think holding workshops to help new users get comfortable with thier
disrto's admin tools and packaging would be a good idea.

> Maybe it's too early to splinter out too much, but if one day we do
> become REALLY big, or become part of an umbrella group[*] for the
> growing number of LUGs in the area, it'd probably be worth looking into.
>

> Just rambling... back to your regularly-scheduled chatter...
>

> -bill!
> [*] Or if LUGOD becomes THE umbrella group.  Mwahahahahahah!  <ahem> Sorry
> ;)

- --