2002 Mar 16 21:32

[vox] SIGs?

Is there currently any interest in SIGs (Special Interest Groups) in LUGOD?

(I'm thinking we'd probably only start off with some topic-specific
mailing lists, but perhaps one day, when we hit the 1000-member mark ;)
we could even have more meetings a month)

When you look at a PC user group, there are often many SIGs:
a new user SIG, this-and-that-application SIGs, a graphics SIG, etc.

With LUGOD, I can easily think of a few SIGs:

  New Users    ("Gnubies"?)
  Perl         ("Davis Perl Mongers"?)
  C/C++
  PDA          ("ELGOD - Embeded Linux Group of Davis" ;) )

... and perhaps even SIGs on various popular distributions (RedHat, Debian,
SuSE, Mandrake)

Maybe it's too early to splinter out too much, but if one day we do
become REALLY big, or become part of an umbrella group[*] for the
growing number of LUGs in the area, it'd probably be worth looking into.

Just rambling... back to your regularly-scheduled chatter...

-bill!
[*] Or if LUGOD becomes THE umbrella group.  Mwahahahahahah!  <ahem> Sorry ;)