January 6: Social gathering
2002 Mar 13 17:57

[vox] News from O'Reilly

NOTE:  To reduce the length of this e-mail, it has been ALTERED.
I've removed a number of sections on topics less appropriaste for
a /Linux/ User Group...

If you'd like a copy of the complete, original newsletter, please let me
know in private e-mail.

Also, if those on VOX feel fowarding these kinds of e-mails is annoying,
please let me know and I'll cease. :)  Thanks!

-bill!
pr@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/

----- Forwarded message from Marsee Henon <marsee@oreilly.com> -----

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:34:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Marsee Henon <marsee@oreilly.com>
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, March 1
To: pr@lugod.org

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
March 12, 2002

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK

NEWS:
-How Will History View Richard Stallman?
-Local Rules: Of Ants and IP Routing
-What Is LAMP?
-Apache Web-Serving With Mac OS X, Part 5
-Directory of Linux Commands
-Stopping Spam with SpamAssassin

BOOK NEWS:
-Free as in Freedom

CONFERENCE NEWS:
-Emerging Technology Brochures
-Emerging Technology Discounts

NEWS FROM O'REILLY & BEYOND

Spread the word to your members....
GENERAL NEWS
HOW WILL HISTORY VIEW RICHARD STALLMAN?
An interview with Sam Williams,
author of O'Reilly's new book "Free as in Freedom"
by Bruce Stewart
"Free as in Freedom" traces Richard Stallman's evolution from gifted,
solitary child to teen outcast to revered and reviled crusader. As the
leader of the free software movement, Stallman is one of the most
influential and controversial personalities in hacker culture today.
Through extensive interviews with Stallman, his family, and fellow
hackers, author Sam Williams has created an intimate portrait of this
freedom fighter.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2002/02/28/williams.html
For more information on "Free as in Freedom" see:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/freedom/

LOCAL RULES: OF ANTS AND IP ROUTING
by Ravi Malhotra, author of "IP Routing"
Watching a line of ants work its way along his roof deck, Ravi Malhotra
noticed the ants were quick to find the shortest route between two
points or around a sudden obstacle. How do they do it? By using local
rules, the same way IP routers bump traffic around the Internet.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/03/08/iprouting.html
LAMP
WHAT IS LAMP?

Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl, PHP, Python

http://www.onlamp.com/

ONlamp is currently featuring the following articles:

DIRECTORY OF LINUX COMMANDS
This directory of Linux commands is from "Linux in a Nutshell, 3rd
Edition." Click on any of the 379 commands shown to get a description
and list of available options.
http://www.onlamp.com/linux/cmd/

APACHE WEB-SERVING WITH MAC OS X, PART 5
Kevin Hemenway returns with his fifth article concerning Apache, OS X,
and the immense power available to the common man. Having established a
good, firm pool of Apache knowledge in the first four articles, Kevin
takes the time to focus on a popular supplementary technology, namely
the database server MySQL.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/03/08/apache_mac_5.html

STOPPING SPAM WITH SPAMASSASSIN
by Simon Cozens
SpamAssassin and Vipul's Razor are two Perl-based tools that can be
used to dramatically reduce the number of junk emails you need to see.
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/06/spam.html
BOOK NEWS
REVIEW COPIES ARE AVAILABLE, email me for a copy.
Please allow at least three weeks for shipping.

Don't forget, your members get 20% off any O'Reilly book they purchase
direct from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when ordering.

FREE AS IN FREEDOM
Order Number: 2874
"Free as in Freedom" interweaves biographical snapshots of GNU project
founder Richard Stallman with the political, social and economic
history of the free software movement. "Free as in Freedom" looks at how
the latest twists and turns in the software marketplace have done
little to throw Stallman off his pedestal. If anything, they have made
his logic-based rhetoric and immovable personality more persuasive.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/freedom/
Read Chapter 3, "A Portrait of the Hacker as a Young Man":
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/freedom/chapter/ch03.html

CONFERENCE NEWS
EMERGING TECHNOLOGY BROCHURES
By now many of you have received a copy of
"The O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference" brochure in the mail,
if you are interested in more of these please let me know
and I can send you some.

A copy of this brochure is available online here:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etcon2002/etech_mailer.pdf

EMERGING TECHNOLOGY DISCOUNTS
The O'Reilly user group discount is 20% for conferences.
Use the discount code:DSUG. Register before March 22nd,
and receive a double discount!
Your 20% will apply towards already reduced "Early Bird"
pricing if you register early.

We are also offering 30% off for two or more from one company.
Use the discount code:ET02TEAM

Register here:
http://conferences.oreilly.com/etcon/

O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference
P2P, Web Services, Wireless, and Beyond . . .
Westin Santa Clara
May 13-16, 2002, Santa Clara, CA
For more information about this conference:
http://conferences.oreilly.com/etcon/

Until next week,

--Marsee

----- End forwarded message -----

Again - This forwarded e-mail has been ALTERED.  Sections (eg, Mac-,
Windows-, Java- and P2P- stuff) were removed!