2002 Mar 06 10:56

Re: [vox] HR 1542 passed the House

joel,

HR 1542 would force the FCC and the US courts to define VoIP and treat it
as telecommunication.  this would bring VoIP inside the complex web of US
telecom regulation, with all the benefits thereof.

but here's the real issue.  HR 1542 would free the RBOCS from the
obligation of to lease local lines to competing DSL services.  that
could mean the end for companies like omsoft.  it also grants the RBOCS
a TREMENDOUS opportunity for a monopoly.  if you're impressed with DSL
service and pricing through pacbell, you'll love this bill.  if you
think pac bell DSL should just go to hell, then this bill is not
something you want to pass.

btw, the house judiciary committee voted unanimously against this bill,
based on anti-trust issues alone.  but they don't have much power beyond
recommending a vote of yay or nay.  usually, the house votes with
whatever the recommendation is of a committee's findings.  it's very
suspicious that this bill passed the house and smacks of shady dealings.

but there are other issues, like why in the world should voice packets
and data packets be distinguished?  when it comes down to it,
distinguishing this tcp packet from that tcp packet is just sheer
nonsense.  it should also (imho) be illegal.  what if i were deaf or
mute, so the only way i could communicate is over TTY?

the bill would give a monopoloy to any RBOC that chooses to take it, and
judging by the shady and illegal practises that pacbell has been charged
with, they'd probably take it.

for information on this bill, both pro and con:

http://www.isp-planet.com/politics/2001/hr1524.html

also, i have to apologize for my previous comments.  although more
republicans voted for the bill than democrats, this bill is definitely
bi-partisan.  in fact, its co-sponsor is a democrat.

pete

begin Joel Baumert <kender@geeksource.net>