2002 Feb 26 23:32

Re: [vox] [ot] Deregulation and Enron.

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Joel Baumert wrote:
> Are you suggesting that the government should take over the role of
> Andersen for all corporations?

No. Merely observations of society:

Event of 9/11 including people breaking laws that existed, but we still
saw the public cry for new laws and rules. These "improvements to public
security" (losses of freedoms) may eventually be erroded as people seek
less hassle and demand more freedom. This may happen until another event
reminds of us our "need for security" and a whole new slew of laws come
into being.

People have the freedom to go where they want, when they want with
anonymity. Now Photo ID is required to use plane tickets. Now you can
bring a plastic knife on board an airplane.

Some bastard abuses a freedom used by others, and suddenly "the
people" are more than willing to give up that freedom (and others" for the
"sake of security."

Now we have "the people" who are outraged - some of which are demanding
their public reps "do something" and being representatives by polling, the
abide by the demands of their people. (Some people, who lost 401K plans,
life savings, etc.)

Next, new laws are introduced that govern money in business - designed to
prevent a re-occurance of this incident by adding new rules.

These rules only effect to encourage more creative solutions for
businesses to navigate around this problem and others which laws were
created in "the public interest."

My comments on the previous post and this one have little to do with
agreement or happiness, or desire to see things stay the same or change.

These comments are all about a review of cause and effect based on
history - predicting the future based upon the history of our
past.

Conclusion: The future does not have as much entropy as I was originally
lead to believe and general patterns of the present and future seem to be
largely predictable.

 From this, it seems eliminating rules that govern business and allowance
of *more* self regulation has encountered a period in our present where
suggestions for *less* regulation is unfavorable. It is likely for this
telecommunications bill to fail in the Senate even if it passes in the
House. Even when it fails, it will return again - possibly when the
backlash from the Enron thing settles down. It is in the interest of the
business (telco-ISP) to get a bill like this passed. They will only stop
when eliminated. Public sentiment and reaction will pass and people will
forget and it may eventually get through, but now does not seem like the
time that it will be permitted.

Again, to re-iterate, I am not suggesting we do antyhing with the above,
or change anything. What I state is a prediction. There is really no point
in arguing for or against it. There really is no arguement. There is
agreement or non-agreement, and time will provide us with the actual
outcome. One reason it may appearto be an arguement is that I try to
support the predictions with reasons. There are, of course, counter
reasons too.

-ME