2002 Feb 22 22:26

Re: [vox] Intro classes (was php wonders.)

speck@blkmtn.org wrote:

> Eric,
>
> Part of the reason for a NIC/floppy boot solution was the last LUGOD held a 'newbie class' (I ddi not attend) they had access to systems, but could not load Linux on those systems.  With Linux Terminal Server and booting from the NICs, all they need to do is a change in BIOS to boot from the NIC, and make sure they bring ONE system with the Linux Terminal Server set up on it.

Actually, Bill used demo linux cd's that I proposed as a solution.  Demo Linux boots up linux from a cd and will use the network to do dhcp if it can identify/setup the nic.

> This way, the class gets the hands on experiance and the doner of the resources doesn't have his systems messed up.  In addition, people also get to see one of the posibilities of thin client solution in action.
>
> In any case, while a great idea, it's beyond my current time and skillset resources.  SOme day though, I'll get around to it, I'd like to set it up at home.

I would like to do the same thing.  That is why any hardware I buy, I am making sure it supports linux and that the network card has an etherboot image for it, so it can be used as a linux terminal server.  I can then use the system as a normal desktop, but also boot to the network as a terminal.

>  The Remote desktop would be a great solution
> > for travelers especialy if the network boot option witch is not the sole
> > property of Dell systems but can be implimented in any system with the right
> > equipment.  this would also keep administration to a minimum and allow for a
> > Star Office solution to be implimented. (collaberation,document sharing, and
> > more from my experiance)

Correct this solution is not specific to Dell.  You can use any network card that is capable of booting to a network and works with linux drivers.  The main reason I mentioned Dell is that these are an easy target or great candidate.  For example: Almost all of the desktop computer in use at my work are Dell computers (and can boot from the network), they all run Windows 98, NT
or 2000.  I could set the Dell's up to boot from the network and if I had a linux terminal server they could boot to linux .  It could be setup to let the user choose if the wanted to boot into linux or boot to windows.

any thoughts?

Stephen