2002 Feb 22 16:17

Re: [vox] Intro classes (was php wonders.)

Re: [vox] Intro classes (was php wonders.)

Hey all of these are great idea's
With a high availability network a VNC solution would work.. Have them log
onto the system via a terminal.  But were not realy talking just the concept
of  using the Linux model we are refering to Converting to the Linux model.
While this is a solution to solve some anxiety issues the vast majority of
people I have spoken with are impatient when it comes to learning new
things.

    With Linux I see most often during the teaching or training phaze people
try to teach what uses an application has.  While the need to cover as many
bases is valuable, it seems imminantly more important to start by teaching
them how to use an application for their needs than how to make an
application work for them.  This might seem a bit backwords,  like im saying
the same thing.  However you put it, there is a difference between learning
an applications abilities and learning how to use an application.  One can
be daunting as you have handed them the manual.  The other option is simply
giving them a reason to use the application for a spacific solution and
hoping that the capabilities will either be sought out or become needed
after they are comfortable with the solution application.

If we were to take this to an actual implimentation scale the idea of
training would have to be minimal.
The most people are willing to learn at one time for the sake of saving
money is how to get going. and how it will do the same thing that the old
solution did.

While the network boot, and remote desktop options are actualy a great ones
it has the assumption that we are providing a new environment to a business
that will shun the old.

Many businesses are adverse to change but still needing or desiring the
change.
To support this type of endevore we would have to provide the simplicity
they percieve now with the efficiency of the Linux solution.

I like the ideas rolling so far. They are great.  I feel these ideas would
do better as an end solution.  The Remote desktop would be a great solution
for travelers especialy if the network boot option witch is not the sole
property of Dell systems but can be implimented in any system with the right
equipment.  this would also keep administration to a minimum and allow for a
Star Office solution to be implimented. (collaberation,document sharing, and
more from my experiance)

One thing about network serving and heterogeneous networks.  I will pose
this more as a question than a comment.  Have you ever listened to the
chatter on a windows/other network. or a network composed of windows only?
    If you get the opportunity to do this, please do.  You will be amazed at
how much useless information is broadcast over the network and not MaC
spacific.

Hesperant ieger