2002 Feb 22 16:17

Re: [vox] Intro classes (was php wonders.)

speck@blkmtn.org wrote:

> DOH!
>
> I should pay a little more attention... I was thinking of something else when I read it initially.  So ummm, yes that would probably work fine.....
>
> So Stephen, how does one set one of those up.  :)
>
> -sp

Well the first step is go to www.ltsp.org.  I was actually interested in setting something up like this at my son's school maybe using www.k12ltsp.org.

The basics is you have a decently powered server with enough disk space to hold your linux distribution, applications and home directories with about 512MB per 5 terminals served (if I remember correctly).

You then setup on the server the various boot rom images for the net boot systems (you can also use a floppy to boot to the network).  I was more interested in having diskless workstations.

Boot up your workstations and go from there.  I think we should get a server setup that could also help us at the install fests and linux demo's.

Stephen