2002 Feb 22 12:07

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] php wonders. (was on vox)

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] php wonders. (was on vox)

heh.  it's been awhile since we had this thread; guess it's about time.
:)

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 07:21:14PM -0500, Erik Mullinix wrote:
>
> > Meetings are usefull but the content of the conversation is easly lost on
> > people who are not deep into the bowels of Linux.
>
> This is often true, but as you've probably noticed, we (mostly I) try
> to gauge the technical level of each of our meetings' speakers, to
> help ensure that the newbies don't come to a talk on the innards of
> parallel computing, and that the bioinformaticists out there don't
> get disappointed when they come to a talk on "Networking under Linux"
> just to find out it was a talk on how to run FTP. ;)
>

> Now, since many of our regular attendees are above the level of
> "how do I use FTP?", we often do try to book speakers with more
> hard-core topics.

exactly.  topics like "how do i use telnet" are inappropriate for
meetings.  true newbie questions are best answered by books.

it's like sorting resistors.  i can ask bill what number does violet
represent.  and he can tell me a million times "pete, i already told
you.  it's 7.".   but the fact is, i won't learn it until i look it up
enough times.  when it becomes convenient to learn, a person learns.
when it's more convenient to ask, the person asks.  here is proof.  this
morning, i didn't know any resistor colors.  i've been sorting resistors
for 20 minutes now.

black:  0
brown:  1
red:    2
orange: 3
?
green:  5
?
?
violet: 7
gray:   8
?

you can apply this principle to linux.  or just about anything else.

therefore, the topics of a LUG are less "here's how you do X" and more
"hey, look at this".   and "hey look at this" often needs to be
complicated to be interesting.

of course, there are exceptions.  compiling a kernel is complicated.
getting a dvd to work is complicated.

> This has led to occasional discussions of, for example, "should we have
> a 2nd track to the meeting, for beginners?" or "should every OTHER meeting
> be for beginners?"  (Actually, more commonly asked, way back when, was
> "should every other meeting be for club business?"  Thankfully, the answer
> has been: "No." :)  We've been dealing with things via irregularly-scheduled
> officer's meetings)

exactly.

i've said it before:  lugod WILL have a two track meeting.  we WILL have
newbie specific meetings.  we WILL have newbie Q+A sessions.

when someone volunteers to organize it.  we're all strapped for time as
it is.  or if lugod paid me to be a full time president.  :)

> > What other options are there?
>
> Well, at least twice now, we've had "Intro to Linux" classes, which
> were actually completely separate from regular LUGOD meetings.  The
> two times we held them were at the City of Davis' computer lab on A
> Street.  The second class was actually pretty cool, because we were
> able to get copies of Demo Linux burned (thanks, Stephen, I believe!)
> so we could run Linux on all of the boxes without actually installing
> anything (except a temp. file on the Windows filesystem) :) :)
>

> So, I'm not sure if I've answered your question.  I guess my point is,
> we (LUGOD) have occasionally thought about these exact things, and,
> although not part of our twice-monthly meetings, have tried to deal
> with them in our own special way. :)
>

> -bill!  (sorry if I'm rambling and incoherent... I keep getting

no dude, you're right on mark.

pete