January 6: Social gathering
2002 Feb 21 00:02

Re: [vox] School Choices

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 05:20:44PM -0800, Joel Baumert wrote:
> I have a degree bias...

> If you are interested in hardcore programming, I
> think you should look at the four (usually five)
> year degree.  It is worth the time because it
> will expand your options and give you a chance to
> work on more interesting projects.  Many
> companies will not even consider your resume for
> a programming job without seeing a four year
> degree from a "real" college.

State and UC systems are both excellent bargains. When I was in college,
the state was spending somewhere around $9,000 per student, and tuition
was $1000 a year. Plus, we had a whole lab of HP 9000's. I have to admit,
I made it through college without buying a computer, and I was proud of
it. Of course, that was 9 years ago.

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/