2002 Feb 20 10:44

Re: [vox] School Choices

I have a degree bias...

If you are interested in hardcore programming, I
think you should look at the four (usually five)
year degree.  It is worth the time because it
will expand your options and give you a chance to
work on more interesting projects.  Many
companies will not even consider your resume for
a programming job without seeing a four year
degree from a "real" college.

This isn't to say you cannot get a programming
job without a degree, but your choices will be
more limited, you will probably have to start at
a lower rung, and you will probably hit a ceiling
sooner that someone with a basic degree.  That
and there are exceptions to every rule.

I know of two people who went to technical college
and they both had negative experiences.  Their
main complaints were the expense and the feeling
afterwards that they were still underqualified
for the jobs they wanted.

Most of my IT friends have collected a number of
the credentials and have been successful with that.
One of them is a dot.com mill^H^H^H^H hundred
thousandaire.  He started out in IT and now does
light programming as a network test engineer in
the bay area.

Joel