January 6: Social gathering
2002 Feb 21 11:18

Re: [vox] School Choices

Some well thought out points, so, having gone the 'other way' I'll chip in.

I have an AS from Heald (actually 2).  It was an expensive 18 months (mine is Electronics and I work in the Computer industry go figure).  This got me my job in industry, yes supporting MS stuff but what can I say, they are a monopoly and I needed a job.  Essentially, it's a tech college.  Dugan is right in that you can miss out on a 'broader' exposure to other stuff.  I can say with certainty that not having a BS has killed some options for me.  AT this point, I'll probably do the Uni of Pheonix, it's 2 years and then I am done.  Again, it misses on the 'broad' part of stuff, but I now have several years experiance, and having the BS in addition to the Experiance can get me to the Interview where I can demonstrate my 'breadth of experiance'.

Going the 'cert' route, I have my MCSE.  DO NOT PAY FOR CLASSES for a cert like this.  Just buy the books, go through them and take the tests (if you have questions I can answer some off line).  Now, he is right, a Uni degree is 'better', but I had to 'eat now!' so took the quick route.  Class tiems were convienient and I knew how long the course was.

Now about Dugan's contention that most MCSE's are limited.  Well.... that is in part due to the MCSE certification track.  Many MCSE's do not have college.  A lot merely have retraining in the MS way so stuff in the training is often as he said, lacking in some details and 'not quite right' in others :).  The ones who progress and advance by and large do have college and learn in a constant state.

The Novell course work was far more comrehensive than the MS stuff.  Exposure to mulitple OS is much better, but I have also met UNIX admins who thought they knew what they were doing on NT/2000 systems and well.... it was interesting.  Keep in mind that UNIX admins generally get paid more (Solaris, HP UX, etc).  MS stuff is a different mindset than the UNIX stuff so despite surface appearances.  It is not a drop and replace, it is generally that the UNIX folks who make a transistion have most of the OS theory and the skills to read, research and learn new things that self taught people do not.  The self-taught people miss out and have to work to 'fill the gap' of theory that MS cert courses do not provide.  Add to the fact that without the theory, how do you know what specific learning you need to focus on to learn?

Depending on your current experiance (I missed your first post) the cert option may be the way to go to get a job you can hold down while you persue the degree part.  If you already hold a BS, then it generally is a matter fo getting the experiance.

On the certs, A+ is for 0-6 months experiance and is ONLY needed if you will be working for a hardware break/fix shop that is also doing warrentee repair work.  There are some cheap study books that you can get, spend a week or two reviewing and then test out if you want to go that route.  If you to test out, get one MS cert (that gets you the interview) any decent full time job should pay at least for future testing and at $125 a test that's not cheap.  Don't know how many Linux jobs there are, can't advise you.  The CCNA is really only good if you can ALSO show that you have worked on Cisco routers, otherwise it does show that you have applied yourself in less time than a college degree but is not a substitute.

Certifications in the private sector are also measurable performance metrics when you do your yearly reviews with HR.  I did this and this project, and that, etc, I also made sure I remained current in my technology field by testing out in the latest certifications....... 'By gaining certification I maintain my value to the company and therefore deserve a bigger raise than my co-workers who couldn't be bothered'  ;).  Now in a larger company, this line actually works sometimes (not this year tho).

-sp