2002 Feb 16 07:14

[vox] utter coolness in quake I

hey all,

there's a really cool quake I project called "npr quake"

	http://www.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Gallery/NPRQuake/

even if you have no intention of actually playing it, this thing
deserves you just looking at the screenshots.  basically, it's quake I
with the rendering engine ripped out and replaced with various
libraries, like a "hand sketch" library that makes everything look like
an artist's sketchbook.  or an architect's blue print.  or an artist's
canvas/brushstroke.

the thing got ported to linux:

	http://216.127.157.102/users/ryan/

anyway, i got it to compile and work.  totally cool.  the only kludgey
thing i had to do was figure out where it was looking for one of its
libraries (using strace for that) and installed said library into
/usr/lib (yuck).

anyway, it works and it's cool.  i can't imagine playing it for 3 hours,
but for an hour or less, it's totally refreshing.

pete