2002 Jan 25 08:52

Re: [vox] scheduling question

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Eric Nelson wrote:
> Thanks.  I know nice will lower the prority, but, if you are not under
> attack, don't you want to keep the priority up??  I just don't understand
> what the kernel really does  I mean, if people keep opening threads, what
> happens?  It seems like black magic.  We are trying to talk some guys into
> using Linux, and they asked that question.  I wasn't sure what to say.

Sounds like you could cobble together a script-based solution or
something.
Consider this pseudocode, written as I'm way tired, so pardon the
half-assedness:
  1. Wake up every 5 seconds
  2. Check nettop (or whatever), see if process X accounts for more than Y
percent of the bandwidth
  3. If so, switch to DoS MODE!  Renice the server daemon, arbitrarily
drop packets [1], kill and restart the server daemon, whatever you
think is appropriate.
  4. If not, see if more than Z percent of the overall bandwidth is in
use.  If not (i.e. low bandwidth use) switch out of DoS MODE (if
applicable) and/or renice a process or two to a higher priority.

HTH... hope this doesn't seem too silly in the morning.

--nicole twn

[1] Note to panicked people: this isn't quite the overkill solution it
seems to be.  Randomly dropping packets is actually a decent response to DoS
attacks: the idea is that legit packets will be retransmitted, while illegit
ones won't be.

***
"That creaking you hear, it's increasingly clear, is my brain--overload,
overload!"--Eddie From Ohio