January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jan 24 20:54

[vox] scheduling question

Suppose I have a task (actually a Java Virtual Machine) running at a
certain priority.  Now, I have Apache running at a lower priority.  Now,
suppose someone invokes a denial of service attack on Apache, by smothering
it with requests.  Will this impact on the time being allocated to the JVM?
Can I guarantee a certain percentage of time to the JVM?  What if the JVM
runs at a lower priority than Apache?
Also, would it be feasible to have some task running that monitors what % of
time Apache gets, and lower it's priority if it is getting too much time?