January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jan 20 21:09

Re: [vox] AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 04:24:32PM -0800, Shwaine wrote:
> Pete wrote:
> > that's the one thing i hate about debian.  i wish they would use hand
> > editable config files instead of all these binary config files.   ;)
>
> Why is it every time I attempt to post something informative about
> Slackware I get shit like this from Debian users? If you don't like
> Slack, fine. Refute it with a real argument about merits, not some
> logical falacy like this where a comment is taken out of context.
> Read the entire email. The design differences about the config file
> was meant to say there is no "linuxconf" like program, just small
> programs for some specific configurations, like networks. The design

Um, last time I checked, neither did Debian; Linuxconf is a RedHat evil.

Not trying to start a holy war; just pointing out an inaccuracy.

> differences also included the /etc/rd.c structure and lack of PAM.
> Really, the attitudes I am seeing on these lists at times are half
> the reason I never bother to go to meetings even though they are
> only a few blocks away from me. I'm not the only one amongst my group
> of CS grad friends who have the same opinion. Something to ponder.

Um; I believe that the original poster was trying to make a humorous retort,
as evidenced by the little smiley at the end of the sentence; and his reply
wasn't "Slackware Sucks" or any type of nasty flame directed at you or your
distro-of-choice.

Sounds like you are confused about who has the attitude problem.

Just my $0.02.

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Unix System Administrator

Plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens.