2002 Jan 19 15:19

Re: [vox] AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat

Eric wrote:
> Now I read that RedHat may be acquired by AOL Time Warner. I may
take a
> look at slackware and debian.

If you want the total hands on experience, the Slackware may be the
right choice for you. It has held to a slightly different design
that other Linux distros. Pretty much every config file is hand editable
(although there are programs for things like network config, but
it is just as easy to do by hand). The package manager is minimalistic
and works well with the old "./configure; make" style of installing
programs. The only major drawback I see with Slackware is really
a third-party vendor problem. Slackware does not use PAM or the same
/etc/rc.d directory structure as other Linux distros. This can make
it take a few more steps to install certain programs (like VMWare)
which assume such exist. The /etc/rc.d issue is easy, just create
the directories for the install, then migrate things to Slack's dirs.
The PAM issue usually involves recompiling source with a configure
switch that tells it not to use PAM (openssh requires this if you
get the source instead of the Slack package). There was a lull in
Slackware development that led to the "is Slack dead?" rumors, but
it turned out to be due to the head developer getting married. Since
he's returned from the honeymoon, it seems development is back on
track.

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com              http://www.shwaine.com
telnet://shwaine.dyn.greystoneapts.com:3000