January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jan 11 14:09

Re: [vox] Cool Linux/Windows game

begin Micah Cowan <micah@cowanbox.com>
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 11:58:06AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i was thinking of getting this when i saw the announcement on
> > linuxgames.  i'll take this as a rave review and get it.  i always
> > wanted to write a game like this...
> >
> > thanks for review!
> >
> > pete
>
> Thought you might.  Actually, I always did too - though I had planned
> to make it console-only.  I still might, just because I'd like to see
> a Free one.

my thoughts exactly.  definitely free.  i was thinking of something,
perhaps, ncurses based.

my idea was a bit complicated though.  i was thinking it would be neat
to build a "network" on top of the internet where people can expand the
game by running their own servers.  something like what gnutella does
for file sharing.  i started playing with SDL-net, but realized that the
task was too huge for me.

> But my version would probably have been a tad too realistic (i.e.,
> including the tedium of the real thing).  And it's
> the kewl GUI and music that will impress people about this game as
> much as the thrill of cracking :) - that's something I know I probably
> couldn't touch.

two words: bill kendrick.

but seriously, as far as music goes, i'd be just as happy using
mp3blaster and playing my own music while trying to crack the ice of
someone's piece of the net.  :)

pete