2002 Jan 09 17:36

[no subject]

GOBE is fast and stable (in Windows no less).  GOBE brags about how you can
have text flow around graphics objects and tables, etc.  Now let's talk about
screens.

In GOBE, like other programs, I can import a lot of stuff into a word
processing document.  I  can insert a spreadsheet.  I can also bring up a
tool bar that allows me to draw things.  But "screens" is really unique.  Say
I start a word processing document.  I can bring up a new "screen."  That
means I can bring up a whole new spreadsheet or graphics or presentations or
image manipulation screen just as if I had started with one of these
documents in the first place.  In fact I can bring up all of these screen if
I want!  Each screen has a tab in the document.  So I can move from the word
processing screen to the spreadsheet screen by clicking on the appropriate
tab.

When I save the document (though it appears that the screens have to be
printed separately) all the screen are saved.  This is what is unique about
GOBE.  There are not five different programs bundled into the suite.  Each
"environment" shares the same file type.  So when I re-open my document I've
got my word processing screen with the spreadsheet, etc. tabs.

My only criticisms so far is that it seems rather cumbersome to get page
numbers going, and I could use a lot more symbols.

A lot of people think that when you bash Star Office you don't like the fact
that all of the programs open at once.  This will be fixed in Open Office and
Star Office 6.  That's not my problem.

Start Office 5.1 was unstable.  I had to frequently go into the set up and
fix it.  I fought against auto correct.  Even when I turn it off it would
still mess with me when I tried to number lines.  There  were   two separate
ways to format envelopes, and only one worked.  Both were cumbersome.

I believe that Star Office's defenders are people who are basically not word
processing people that have never used a really great program like
WordPerfect.

Most of these problems seem to have ended with 5.2.  However, I don't know
about stability because I hate Star Office so much that I don't use it long
enough to really know if it's stable.

But here's my problem with 5.2.  The screen doesn't always let me know if I
have put a space between words.  I can't tell until the document is printed
out.  I know this sounds like either operator error or keyboard error, but I
only have this problem on 5.2.

I highly recommend GOBE Productive, and I think this is a great development
for Linux.

Bob