2002 Jan 04 20:02

[vox] Re: [Lug-Nuts] Idea: Sacramento Linux Consortium

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 09:23:47AM -0800, Mike Machado wrote:
> I think its a great idea, but am confused on one thing. I see LUGOD as
> the most active lug of the three, so I am not sure why they would want
> to do this kind of consortium expet to reduce their own costs for
> advertiseing.

I admit this is one of the reasons.  But personally, for me, I'm also
trying to help ensure that our neighbor LUGs (SacLUG and RoseLUG), both
of which I personally am part of, continue to succeed.

This is why, for example, I _always_ suggest people check out SacLUG.org
when I hear they're from Sacramento.  This is why I insist on listing
events for LUGs as far away as San Jose on LUGOD.org's website.  (And that's
not some automated feed, either... I have to manually go to every other LUG's
website to see if they've figured out what their next meeting topic
will be :) )

> I guess this would just force the other lugs to do a bit
> more advertisement, which I think at least SacLUG needs.

Exactly. :)

> I know how the current SacLUG budget operates, and would be concerned that
> there is not enough funds to keep up with what LUGOD wants to do.
>
> It would also mean it's probably time to move beyond the envolope
> accounting register :)

Well, if the people (eg, SacLUG and RoseLUG members) are interested in
helping out their LUG in this way (advertising, installfests, etc.), they'll
donate.  That's the point of donations! ;)

If I had my druthers and a million dollars, I'd say 'screw all of you'
and just advertise Linux and the LUGs myself. :)  (And my friend's site
in Sonoma county, because I'm amazed he hasn't yet himself.)

-bill!
pr@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/