2002 Jan 04 16:23

[vox] Idea: Sacramento Linux Consortium

I just sent the following message to SacLUG and RoseLUG's mailing lists...

Hi SacLUG and RoseLUG folks!  This is Bill Kendrick of the
Linux Users' Group of Davis (LUGOD - http://www.lugod.org/ )

A while back, I had the idea that our three clubs could form a loose
umbrella organization (I've been calling it the "Sacramento Linux Consortium")
which would help our group split costs for things like advertising,
renting space for the occasional larger installfest (kind of like we held
back in September), etc.

I've spoken with Pete Salzman and Henry House of LUGOD, Brian Lavender of
SacLUG, and Verbus M. Counts of RoseLUG, and they all seem interested.
(In fact, Verbus thinks we should try to create a Sacramento-area Linux
conference or showcase! :) )

My idea is pretty simple, so far - we simply set up a central hub website
which talks a little about Linux, then describes our three LUGs, and links
to our websites.  (I've offered to design and maintain the site - I think
the only 'maintenance' it would need is to keep a list of upcoming events
for each group.)

Then, when we decide to try to advertise our LUGs' existence in places
like The Sac Bee newspaper, or on Capitol Public Radio (something LUGOD is
looking into on its own at the moment - and part of the reason this
'consortium' idea came to me again), we can split the cost and the ad
would either point the readers/listeners/viewers to the centralized website,
or to each of our groups' sites individually.

What do you, the folks of SacLUG and RoseLUG, think of the idea?

And what other kind of joint activities/events can our clubs do?
The more the merrier! :)

Thanks!

-bill!
pr@lugod.org