January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jan 02 10:36

Re: [vox] ricochet

bill,

1. i've found that using ORDB has cut my spam down by about 90%.   rod
   roark turned me on to ORDB, and i worship the ground he walks on for it.
   it has, quite literally, changed my life for the better.

2. thanks for the informative ricochet post.  i'd like to point out that
   spamcop actually searches http: links in spam, so it sounds better
   than ricochet at least in that regard.

   what would really be useful is if you can post some other differences
   between ricochet and spamcop.  i'm not loyal to spamcop per se -- if
   ricochet is better, i'd switch to it in half a heartbeat.

3. i've also found that using the MTA itself is a great way to start
   shaving off non relayed spam.  again, rod has set up spam filtering for
   postfix.  very handy.  that, coupled with using ORDB, has made the
   amount of intercepted spam i have to deal with for vox/vox-tech very
   low.   since i use debian/exim, i modified /etc/inetd.conf so that exim
   is tcp wrapped.  when a piece of non-relayed spam does come through, i
   simply drop the IP address into /etc/hosts.deny and boom da-da-bing,
   i never get bothered by that IP address again.  i've completely cut off
   all contact with hinet.net and ethome.com.

pete

begin William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org