Re: [vox] like having a new computer :)

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> woody ain't unstable.   woody is testing.   and i use woody for all my
> production/research machines.  it's "good enough".

this is my biggest beef :)
I cannot understand why someone would install potato on a desktop machine
with semi-new (or new) hardware. Woody has never borked on me, and I find
that the woody install and the hrm, glue (sys scripts, etc) are more user
friendly than potato.

Considering you need 2 floppies (sometimes 3) for a net install, I have
a hard time understanding why install from cd. In fact, I'd be willing
to be that installing from cd, and then patching from the network is slower
or at least equal to a network install (on broadband, from a fast mirror of
course).

> sid is unstable.  and occaisionally something breaks.  but not often.   i've
> never had woody break on me.

Pete, how's the difference between woody and sid like? Is it noticeable?

> as far as X3 goes, don't forget you need a kernel module for non-root access
> of the voodoo board.  3dfx.o.   but you don't need the module if you don't
> plan on using glide 2 as a non-root user.  (there is no glide 3 for voodoo 1
> and 2.  glide 3 is available for voodoo 3 only for X4).

IMO, X4 is oogles better than 3. Sure, there is some hardware that doesn't
work with it yet, but the initial setup is much nicer, and the hardware
acceleration (scaling, etc) is very nice. I get this feeling, that everything
"just works better" when using X4 ;)

-Gabe