Re: [vox] No Chat Script Needed

there are 3 major ways of connecting to a ppp server: chat, pap and
chap.

pap and (i think) chap are the most convenient; they're a protocol,
rather than a script.  whereas a script requires you to know what
strings will be given and the proper responses, ie-

if you receive "ogin: " type "me"
if you don't "ogin: " within 10 seconds, time out.
if you receive "assword: " type "secret"
etc

a protocol means that the system already knows what strings the ppp
server will be passing, and what the replies are to those strings.
there's no guesswork.

you better have had to give your password somewhere, otherwise something
really goofy is happening like ESP.   :-)

pete

begin Robert G. Scofield <rscofield@afes.com>

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org