Re: [vox] Comments on LokiGames

<snip>
> I'm sure they are trying to port the games that they *think* will
> generate the most revenue.  My point, though, was that just because it
> was the #1 cash cow for Windows users doesn't imply that it will be
> the #1 cash cow for Linux users.  There is a very sharp and distinct
> personality and character difference between the average Windows user,
> and the average Linux user - and even though personalities and traits
> differ *very* widely among Linux users; still there are certain
> tendencies.  For instance, Tolkien and Fantasy/Sci-fi genre books,
> Sci-fi TV shows, Puzzle-oriented computer games (as I had previously
> mentioned), etc.  These traits are true for most geeks in general -
> not just Linux ones; but it seems to me that there is a far higher
> percentage of geeks among Linux users (and gamers) than among Windows
> ones.
>

> Micah

<snip>
Stupid numbers game:
10 millions Linux users (90% geek): 9 million geeks
100 million Windows users (10% geek): 10 million geeks

"GT 's Deer Hunter and Deer Hunter II have sold more than 2.3 million copies
combined, making them not just the most popular hunting game, but one of the
most popular computer games of any kind, ever."

2% of the Windows users have to buy a game to make it a best seller.
33% of the Linux users have to buy a game to make it a best seller.

How are you going to get 1/3 of the geeks to argee on anything? :)
vi v. emacs
GPL v. BSD
etc

Just remember:
Cash cow = Myst.
Cash cow = Deer Hunter.
Geeks and Cash cows don't mix.
No one gets rich off geeks.

We like our software free and our games and beer as free as possible.

If Loki was just targeting geeks (which they shouldn't), their programmers
would starve.

Linux is a gaming, desktop, and a server platform all in one.  Just like
every other major OS.  (Windows blows, but it has the same).  That's exactly
where it needs to be -- Everywhere.  And the games that come to it should be
all genres as well.

Have you looked at Loki's Myth 2, Civilazation Call to Power, Railroad
Tycoon, or Heroes of Might and Magic III (my fav)?

-Tom
(Who is a geek that sucks monster ass at FPS, but bought Quake III for Linux
anyway.)
tlburnett@ucdavis.edu
tom@gamerzday.com