[vox] [OT] we got spammed by a politician

[vox] [OT] we got spammed by a politician

begin Joel Baumert <kender@geeksource.net>

> Who
> made more money for the energy industry.  I bet it was
> Gray Davis' decision to involve the state in the energy
> commodities business using energy insiders to "help"
> him out.  We will be paying for Gray's mismanagement
> for over 30 years in higher energy bills.

that's pretty misinformed, joel.  i thought you knew this topic better than
that.   the mess actually started with pete wilson.

the public utility commission (a board of wilson appointees) laid down the
groundwork for deregulation in the mid 90's.  the republicans were confident
that if the PUC order was ever challanged in court, it would stand up because
our great nation is based on the free market.

in any event, the point became moot because that framework became law in
96, the year i graduated san francisco.  the democrats had their hands tied.
they just barely controlled the votes in the house, but wilson made it clear
that he'd veto anything that was too different from his PUC commission's
framework.

in return for his pushing for california deregulation, wilson had to disclose
that the backing behind deregulation, republican backing, donated over a
million dollars to his presidential campaign.

wilson's ironic quote as he signed the 1996 deregulation bill:

    "this is so no one is, literally, left in the dark"

actually, this is paraphrased.   anyway, the big interests you mentioned
weren't davis pals.    the biggest donators were pge, southern con edison and
sandiego gas & electric.   and the donations were actually made out to the
GOP.

now, fast foward to gray davis.

he truly did inherit the problem.   the difficulty lies not in davis making
the wrong decision.  he simply made no decision.   deregulation went along
its merry way.

and we all know the rest.

clearly you need to spend less time at zworld and more time checking your
facts.   ;-)   (that was said sarcastically.  actually, i need to spend less
time reading news and more time with school).

> I think that Microsoft should be punished, not because
> they are a Monopoly, but because they abused it.

i think we all feel that way.

pete