Re: [vox] modification to the archive

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 10:51:23AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> so are you saying it's useless to you or you think it's just useless?

I expect it will be useless in practice, because of the subject line not
always being properly used.

I am not speaking to the merits of keywords in general, which are
undoubtably quite useful in many areas.

> scholarly research, looking up what has been done in the past, is done
> mostly by keyword.   comes into play pretty hard.  :)

I sure hope it's all on the web soon...   :)

> heh.  and how many times have you spent WAY too much sifting through google?
> i sure know i have!

Not too many.  If my search terms don't return the exact types of results
I want within the top 25, I refine my terms.  I usually get it down to the
first 10.

> ok, i guess mark thinks it's a decent idea.  you hate it.   nobody else has
> an opinion.   guess i'll drop the issue.

I don't hate it, I just realistically think it won't be as useful as
hoped.  I also believe some active moderatorship pushing useful subject
lines [1] may have a greater impact.

[1] like replying to an email and changing the subject line to something
more useful than perhaps the original poster used.  Over time, this should
encourage useful subject lines from the regular posters.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/