Re: [vox] modification to the archive

begin: Ted Deppner <ted@psyber.com> quote
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 10:51:23AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > so are you saying it's useless to you or you think it's just useless?
>
> I expect it will be useless in practice, because of the subject line not
> always being properly used.

keywords wouldn't be useful because subject lines are used improperly.

that's almost non-sequitar.

1. a keyword is easier than writing a good subject line.
2. it just takes one person to put a keyword up to make it useful.  since i
   answer most of the questions that come across to vox-tech, that pretty
   much guarantees they'll be used.

> > heh.  and how many times have you spent WAY too much sifting through google?
> > i sure know i have!
>
> Not too many.  If my search terms don't return the exact types of results
> I want within the top 25, I refine my terms.  I usually get it down to the
> first 10.

ok, now i know you're trying to be funny.

anyone who says they haven't gotten lost in searching google hell is lying
their butt off.   jeff newmiller and i just spent 15 minutes searching for a
piece of information and were only partially successful.  we all know you're
very intelligent, but you couldn't possibly be that much more competant than
both of us put together.

you're beginning to sound like the people i know on the physics and mensa
mailing lists.  perhaps you should've gone into academia; you're more of a
natural at it than i am.    :-)

> [1] like replying to an email and changing the subject line to something
> more useful than perhaps the original poster used.  Over time, this should
> encourage useful subject lines from the regular posters.

change the subject line?   that idea is only slightly better than sending a
"make money fast" email to our lists.   :)

peter

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org