Re: [vox] Uptime :) <smirk>

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 11:01:02AM -0800, speck@blkmtn.org wrote:

> \\sac-xxxx-file01 has been up for 74 days, 2 hours, 4 minutes, 25 seconds.
>
> It was put into production 74 days ago.
> The user load is file server for approx 100 people/both personal
> directories and group directories.  The xxxx was changed to protect
> company xxxx, which I support.
>
> Now the real story is, my file server is running on  very new Compaq
> hardware.  All the stuff is in the MS Hardware Compatibility List(HCL).
> The system is protected by a UPS.  And I don't muck with it by putting
> Beta/new released SW on it.
>
> So, there is a cost differential at work.

Exactly; apples and oranges.  A proper comparison would be between your
NT machine (which sounds, from the way you wrote, like a bit of an
anomaly) to a Sun box that we had at my work -- it ran fine for about
two *years* before being rebooted; and at that, was only rebooted
because the UPS battery failed during a power outage this past summer.

Many Linux/Unix-ers, as you well know, run beta software on the same
machines that display these impressive uptimes; hell, my *workstation*
usually gets into the fifty-day uptime range, and the only reason it
gets rebooted is that I'm a geek and like building new kernels.  That's
a system that I develop, listen to music, read email, write papers,
and surf the web on; plus it's also the print server and an app server
for my house (me, two parents, and a few friends who SSH in to my
webserver machine).  All on commodity hardware.

As per the user load, we have an eleven-year-old Sun machine (a Sun
SPARCserver 1000E) that's handling file serving for about two hundred
users, plus LDAP directory services, plus calendaring (using Netscape
calendar, a remarkably crappy product), internal mail, internal DNS,
and authentication (NIS+, Samba PDC).  It runs just fine.

Not trying to belittle your acheivement; a seventy-four day uptime on
an NT server under light load is pretty impressive.  But MS still
has a bit of a ways to go before they can touch Unix-like stability
numbers.

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Unix System Administrator

Plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens.