Re: [vox] Comments on LokiGames

> Stupid numbers game:
> 10 millions Linux users (90% geek): 9 million geeks
> 100 million Windows users (10% geek): 10 million geeks
>
> "GT 's Deer Hunter and Deer Hunter II have sold more than 2.3 million
> copies combined, making them not just the most popular hunting game, but
> one of the most popular computer games of any kind, ever."
>
> 2% of the Windows users have to buy a game to make it a best seller.
> 33% of the Linux users have to buy a game to make it a best seller.
>
> How are you going to get 1/3 of the geeks to argee on anything? :)
> vi v. emacs
> GPL v. BSD
> etc
>
> Just remember:
> Cash cow = Myst.
> Cash cow = Deer Hunter.
> Geeks and Cash cows don't mix.
> No one gets rich off geeks.

Only rich in the mind....

> We like our software free and our games and beer as free as possible.
>
> If Loki was just targeting geeks (which they shouldn't), their programmers
> would starve.

True, geeks like to spend hours in /etc/ directory for example, or reading up
on something. I know because I do, in endless tweaking finding new stuff
routines. But I still have gaming roots and it shows,, even beta tested
Creatures Linux. Its digital DNA which is pretty geeky, let me see if I
remember what it means: deoxyribosomalnucleoicacid, something like that
anyway.

> Linux is a gaming, desktop, and a server platform all in one.  Just like
> every other major OS.  (Windows blows, but it has the same).  That's
> exactly where it needs to be -- Everywhere.  And the games that come to it
> should be all genres as well.

Linux is so damn powerful its breathtaking in what you can do, obviously this
is from the Unix heritage which has evolved into the best computing OS in my
very humble opinion.

> Have you looked at Loki's Myth 2, Civilazation Call to Power, Railroad
> Tycoon, or Heroes of Might and Magic III (my fav)?

Have none of those, but have Jagged Alliance 2, Soldier of Fortune, Heavy
Gear 2, Alpha Centuari and Decent 3. I want more, but cannot afford it right
now. Personnally I think we had more this year than last year, so despite the
economy tanking like a lead balloon there were positives. We have X-plane
slowly on the way too.

Actually with Playstation 2 now running Linux it makes me wonder if Everquest
will be ported to Linux so that it can run on the Playstation? Sony own
Verant after all. Hmmm Playstation 2 and Linux kit, amazing. Its amazing how
Linus has kept so much humility....

Matt