Re: [vox] modification to the archive

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> keyword: bulk

If I was searching for "bulk" I probably wouldn't expect to find a
discussion on the use of keywords.  I also respect the effort librarians
put into developing systems of subject areis and keywords for them enough
to not expect similar quality from those who arent librarians (like
myself).

> begin: William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> quote
> > On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 12:02:28PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > 1. a keyword is easier than writing a good subject line.
> >
> > Well, I'm curious.  Where would one even enter keywords?  At the top of
> > the body of the message, in a faux-header line?  Or as an actual
> > "X-Keywords:" header?
>
> see above; very simple.  i'm sure you'd get the hang of it sooner or later.

[...]

In my opinion, keywords have potential usefulness in two areas:

1) speeding up database access (avoiding full-text searching), if
information is associated with keywords in the database structure, and

2) when the text being used to describe the subject at hand omits these
keywords, they can be a useful addition to full-text searches.

Since including the faux keyword header in the body of the message makes
it difficult to implement (1) [not to mention the fact that full-text
searches are the norm], the latter seems to be the argument of choice.  I
don't know how often the author will manage to dance around the "key
words" in his/her explanation, but if the author is paying attention
enough to notice this and add keywords, such an addition could prove quite
useful in retrieving information later, and can only be lauded.

I do think we should be careful to avoid making the omission of the faux
header a point of criticism, because the most important thing as the
messages are written is the help they offer, not their well-formedness for
the construction of a knowledge base.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing