Re: [vox] "Lord of the Rings"

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
[snip]
> as long as we're going off on our likes and dislikes, i'd like to take
> this opportunity to say, i've always hated running water.  i mean,
> why the hell do they call it running water anyhow?  have YOU ever seen
> water with legs?  i sure haven't!  and how can something run without
> legs?

Is that why my current perl script won't run? Is there a "running legs"
module on CPAN?

> further, have you ever noticed that when you turn the hot water on, it
> initially comes out cold?  i HATE that!!  why do they call it "hot
> water" then?  instead of taking a shower with "hot water", i think we
> should all say that we're taking a shower with "water that will become
> hot".  i mean, really.  running water is just so over rated!

Don't you mean that the water will "potentially" become hot? When I take
a shower I am unwilling to take in on faith alone that it will be hot,
or even warm for that matter. As a a shower user one is placed in the
awkward position of trusting the utility companies. I am not only
speaking of trusting the gas source and delivery system, but also the
management and staff of PG&E. PG&E!! I mean, have you seen Erin
Brockovich? That is why I have labeled the "hot" water faucet "PH". I
also have an aluminium lined shower cap "just in case". And yes, that is
aluminium, not aluminum. I don't trust the American "version" of the
English language either, which is why I carry the entire OED in the boot
of my car. Go to the source, go to the OED!

> the human race has gone for MILLENIUM without running water.  and what
> has it gotten us?  polluted oceans.  higher disease rates.  poisoned
> fish.

Yes indeed, there is nothing more comforting than a pool of stagnant
water. Pond scum, mosquito larvae, various protists, and leeches are
your friends.

> frankly, i wouldn't let any water into my house that i couldn't do an
> md5checksum on.   who KNOWS what kind of fithly nasty viruses could be
> embedded in running water?   and has anyone thought of writing some kind
> of cryptographic hash for running water?!?   i think not!

And beware, some claim that water has memory. Perhaps there are men
outside in black lorries patiently waiting to debrief their agents.

Trust no one.

--
Eric Engelhard