Re: [vox] like having a new computer :)

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 08:19:28AM -0800, Ted Deppner wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 02:01:33AM -0800, William Kendrick wrote:
> > right... I've finally switched my main system from RedHat to Debian
>
> Yeah!  Another linux user has emerged from the primordial ooze and is
> taking their first tenative steps on dry land!
>
> Congratulations on making the switch... you'll never go back.

Oh, I've been using Debian for over a year now, actually.
(On my machine at work.  And my latest reincarnated box, a P133, had
Debian installed on it about 6 months ago.  I'm just finally switching my
_PERSONAL_ box :) )

<snip>
> Absolutely.  Debian does the right thing most of the time, from a ease of
> use, and from a security standpoint.

The discs Pete gave me were a badly-burned copy of 2.2r3 - no SSH packages,
and the installer just gave up and said "you can now log in...", so I did,
edited my /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the Debian HTTP servers instead
of the CDROM drive, and ran dselect.

All seems well... :)  Now, I might have issues with USB (2.2 kernel) and
my Voodoo video card (XFree 3.x), but I'm thinking at this point I can either
jerry-rig off of unstable (Woody) or just wait until Woody becomes stable.

I just like having a box that _works_ again. :)

> I've had an easier time installing
> USB devices (keyboard,mouse) under linux than windows... (windows requires
> a disk - try installing a usb keyboard and mouse at the same time!).

Hahahahahaha!  Maybe they could set it up where you could do morse-code
using the Reset button (if it isn't already worn out from using Windows
to begin with ;) )

> > * wish me luck :)  I made lots of extra copies of receipts and such,
> >   in case they 'lose it' :)
>
> rsync is your friend.

I was talking about my mail-in rebate forms. ;)  But thanks.

-bill!
(rsync'd his homedir back over night... seamless.  Yum!)