Re: [vox] Best Way to Job Hunt?

"Richard S. Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com> writes:

> The methods that I used when I was looking for my first web
> development job -- sticking my resume on DICE and letting the phone
> ring off the hook with recruiters -- suddenly isn't working any more,
> now that I've been laid off into this economy.  My resume, pretty much
> the same but with a year's worth of professional web development on
> it, isn't drawing a single response.

Yeah, I had the same response from Dice and Guru: none.  I was looking
for work in September/October and the job boards didn't work for me
either.

> So my question to the masses is this: what is the best method you've
> found for finding a good tech job?  Obviously, I need a wider variety
> of approaches than I've used in the past.

I just got my first job out of college.  I finished school in August and
was hired in November.  I am not a seasoned job hunter, but this is what
I did.  I did some research, found a company that I wanted to work for,
and sent a resume.  They listed a position on their web site, but my
skills didn't match, so it was something of a cold call.

There's a book called "jobs that don't suck" which I thought was great
for putting attitude into perspective.  Basically the key advice was to
be like a cross between Tony Robbins (overflowing enthusiasm and can-do
attitude) and Richard Simmons (all around nice guy).

I had one in-person interview, and three phone interviews.  I think they
hired me mostly on attitude: humble, willing to learn, no task beneath
me, enthusiastic.

-Ricardo