Re: [vox] modification to the archive

begin: Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> quote
> I would have searched in vox-tech.  ;-)

i was hoping you wouldn't think of that.   :-)

but that still doesn't invalidate the argument.  we've had plenty of once-on
topic, now off-topic discussions on vox-tech.  more than plenty!   we've had
conversations which started on one topic and quickly diverted to other
topics.

> Besides, "irq" here was used as an example.  It's not like you would
> be wading through hundreds of threads like this one.

not for this conversation, but potentially you could.  also, you have
broadband.  even wading through 10 messages on a modem can be frustrating.

> My main point is, if I'm doing a search there's no way I'm going to
> rely on every poster having put in a thoughtful keyword list.

you must've misunderstood me.   i propose *in addition* to.  not *replacing*.

here are the unarguable facts:

1. searching by keyword will give you more accurate results.  there will be
   must less noise.   essentially, 100% of your results will be good results.

2. as you point out, not everyone will use them, so you could miss certain
   matches that you may want to read.

3. a better system would be a combination of the two.  that's what i propose.

> But that's just me.  :-)

haven't you ever done a scholarly search on a topic?   or how about an online
search in a scholarly journal?

than you've certainly done a search by keyword.   i guarantee you, doing a
search without keywords in something like the american journal of physics
would be all but useless.

the issue is pretty crystal clear to me; i'm having trouble seeing your
argument.  it seems like your entire argument is based on "what if people
don't use the keyword".   that argument falls to pieces when the proposiiton
is to give both content and keyword as a search criteria.

pete