Re: [vox] "Lord of the Rings"

begin William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 12:09:43AM -0800, Edwin P. Groot wrote:
>
> It was interesting... the latest issue of Linux Journal shows a pie chart
> of most popular distros (based on info from the Linux Counter website - go
> be counted!) and I think it went something like:
>
> #1 Redhat
> #2 Slackware
> #3 Mandrake
>
> For some reason, based on just talking to people, I would've thought that
> Slackware'd be below Debian.  Now... nothing against Slackware (it just
> /seems/ like not many people run it these days), but perhaps this is due to
> a blossoming of people registering the Slackware boxes back when the
> Linux Counter first appeared.
>
> I know at LUGOD meetings, I often hear people say "I started with Slackware.."

wow, you took the words right out of my mouth.  based on what we see at
the installfests, i would've said:

1. mandrake
2. redhat
2. suse or debian

corel and caldera were pretty popular about 1.5 years ago, but nobody
has asked for them for quite some time.

and like bill, the only time i ever hear of slackware is when people say
"i used to use slackware, but then i moved to XXXX" where XXXX is
usually suse or debian.

pete

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org