Re: [vox] Bill is famous!!!!

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 12:33:39PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> bill, have you actually played these games on the agenda yet?

Only Wolf3D is out for Agenda.  Quake is out for Zaurus.
Two different people, two different games, two different PDAs.
It was just a coincidence that both announced releases on the same day,
and that I happen to hang out in both communities (mailing lists). :)

I haven't played either yet.  My Agenda's sync cable is at work.
Trying this out will be one of the first things I do during lunch on Monday

And I don't have my Zaurus yet...

> i can't even begin to fathom how you can play quake on a machine which can
> only do floating point operations which are emulated via software.

Wolf3D was a DOS game.  On the Agenda, you're even pushing 1/4 or 1/8th the
bits around than on even a DOS PC, too.  (16 grey vs. 256 paletted colors,
so that's 1/2 as many bits.  Then the display is only 240x160 (fullscreen
and sideways) or 160x120 (upright))

I imagine it plays at full framerate. :)

And the Zauraus has no FPU, either, but then again, it's a 206MHz StrongARM,
so it's got a lot more horsepower.  It's

> are these games "playable" or is it mostly a cool curiosity?

The Agenda has 6 control buttons, plus the stylus, so I'm guessing it
shouldn't be too akward.  The Zaurus has a mini-QWERTY keyboard, plus
a directional pad and a bunch of buttons.  I think Quake'll be quite
playable. :)