Re: [vox] the windows XP talk at UCD

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, William Kendrick wrote:

Bill, I certainly don't think you're smoking anything, but I'll rebuttle
some things:

>   Apple II   - Very primitive compared to, eg: Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64.
>                Only advantage was hardware extensibility (nice, open case
>                with card-slots)

Besides the extensibility, there was the whopping CGA colors and stunning
sound!  Great at the time in the consumer world (I think... I was in Korea
and it was the whopping thing at the time.)

>   Atari 2600 - Easily surpassed by, for example, Intellivision.
>                Extremely low resolution, not very good sound.  Extremely
>                limited cartridge (ROM) and storage (RAM) sizes.  But it
>                lived on well into the 80s.

I've never used Atari 2600 (to my knowledge... I've used some machines
without knowing what they were back in the 80's), but... if the machine
was so horrible, why do you like it so much?

>   GameBoy    - 4 greyscale, practically a piezo-buzzer for sound...
>                A far fry from the 1000s of colors and stereo, digital sound
>                and 8-player connectivity coming from _PEERS_ like the
>                Atari Lynx, TurboGrafix16 and Sega Game Gear and Nomad.
>                It only survived due to luck (bad decisions by its
>                competitors) and marketing.  In the early 90s, the word
>                "Nintendo" EQUALED "video games"
>                ("Intendo", if you were a parent ;) )

I think GameBoy survived because it had good games.  Other systems I've
seen just push for the speed and sound but Nintendo really knew how to
make some real good games out of those little dinky things.  Even now,
pretty much *the* thing that's keeping GameBoy moving is the game
(Pokemon).  Sure, there's the marketing deal with the TV show and stuff,
but it all makes the game play more fun, and Nintendo knows how to make
use of things like that to make the games better using lesser hardware.

>   IBM PC     - The base architecture is horrid, especially for modern
>                machines.  Like the Apple II, the eventual _openness_ of the
>                architecture, plus IBM (and Microsoft's) marketing caused it
>                to succeed while better systems (Amiga, Mac, NeXT) failed.

Yes, the base architecture is horrible, but originally IBM wasn't even
gonna do the PC thing.  It was a slap-stick duct-taped machine they put
together (I think the duct-tape was litterally holding together the
prototype box) to see if they could get anywhere.  The openness of it as
well as IBM's big name backing made it take off (according to Peter
Norton, anyway), and Microsoft's slyness kept it on top of all other
systems (or rather, it kept other systems from taking off... shame...).
It's the horridness of the PC that, in part, kept it alive, I think, and
its openness that has kept the price down.  Although I wish the
architecture was better, I'm happy with it, and as long as I don't need to
write any compiler for it I'll stay happy.

> If it weren't for Linux, I'd probably have a Sun box or a Mac. :)

I'd do that now but Sun and Mac are too expensive compared to what you can
get with a PC :(

-Mark! :)

--
Mark K. Kim