Re: [vox] is this too much? [GIS mapping]

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Jan Wynholds wrote:
> On the GIS subject:
>
> Is there any GIS mapping programs for linux (that work like ArcInfo)?  I know
> that previous versions of ArcView and ArcInfo ran in SGI Irix.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with GRASS (Geographic Resources Analysis
> Support System)?  I am D/L'ing it now just to play around with it.

I've been trying to [slaps self] download it onto one of the Windows
XP computers in my advisor's lab.  Thus far, have been unsuccessful.
(Must...build...own...computer...SOON.)  I'd be really interested
in anything you learn about GRASS, though.

> GIS mapping is big business (a whole wing of a research station for USDA was
> dedicated only to GIS mapping).  What do the penguins use?  Maybe we could do a
> talk about GIS mapping in linux as a meeting topic?  ... just a thought.

PleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePLEASE!!!!

> Then maybe the GIS students wouldn't be such a lost cause.

Maybe.

--Alex