Re: [vox] MS, I disparage you!

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Christine Scobee wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

==8<--
> > "You may not use the Software in connection with any site that disparages
> > Microsoft, MSN, MSNBC, Expedia, or their products or services ..."
> >                     -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002
>
> If anyone from LUGOD gets a software giveaway, can we dress the box up
> as a clown and throw pies at it at the next meeting?  Or is there
> something banning that in the license agreement for having the boxed
> software in our possession?

I think since throwing the pie at it isn't actually *using* the software,
we can legally do it.  To be on the safe side, we can always take the CD
out of the box, then pie the box -- since the box isn't the software, we
can do whatever we want with it.  AMOF, we should start a movement to draw
funny faces on the MS product boxes and displaying them in protest of
their license practices.  ("We can't use the software to make fun of
Microsft? Fine! -- we'll just make fun of Microsoft using the boxes the
software come in.")

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim