Re: [vox] mailinglist situation

unfortunately, it's not quite that simple.   we are getting webhosting and
mail service for free from mother.com.

we didn't announce it at the last meeting because we were a little
embarrased, but i might as well just say it.

we pulled in a grand total of 15 bucks last meeting.   i think that's a
lifetime record low.   if you include the copy of quake 3 that i donated to
lugod as a door prize, then we pulled in double that.

but the point is, if we had two meetings where we pulled in this amount, we
wouldn't be able to pay for web hosting and mailing lists for that month.

since lugod has no regular income, and relies solely on donations, our
finances have to reflect this -- expenditures here and there (like
photocopying flyers for upcoming meetings or refreshments for the installers
at an IF) are fine.   but recurring expenditures, like monthly payments to an
ISP, are very dangerous.  one bad month and they can turn our service off.

frankly, it would be really sweet to move away from majordomo.  mailman is SO
much more convenient from an admin's pov.   :)

pete

begin: R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net> quote
> Option 3:
>    Dump Mother.com. They seem to be quite adept at breaking things that
> work and not being able to fix the things they broke.
>
> PS: Just hit "Reply" and what a suprise, my reply bounced! :)
>
> Mark K. Kim wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> >>here's the deal.  you can post successfully to:
> >>  vox@franz.mother.com
> >>  vox-tech@franz.mother.com
> >>
> >>but posting to vox@lists.lugod.org (which was prefered) bounces:
> >>
> >==8<--
> >
> >>and posting to vox@lugod.org (not prefered, but still worked) bounces too:
> >>
> >==8<--
> >
> >>i'd like to open up discussion.  can anyone here give suggestions on what
> >>the
> >>admins at mother.com can try to get our mailing lists back to normal?  the
> >>goal is to be able to post to vox@lists.lugod.org (and the less prefered
> >>vox@lugod.org).   not vox@franz.mother.com.

> >  1. Become a tech support for Mother.com -- Talk to their admins over
> >     the phone to figure out what they've changed on their system, trace
> >     back the problems, and fix it.
> >
> >  2. Setup a mail forwarding so any posting to vox@lists.lugod.org or
> >     vox@lugod.org gets forwarded to vox@franz.mother.com.
> >
> >-Mark
> >
> >--
> >Mark K. Kim
> >http://www.cbreak.org/mark/
> >PGP key available upon request.

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002