Re: [vox] is this too much?

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Microsoft puts out decent products for non-technical people like future
> business administrators, many humanity majors and AOL users.  You are capable

Humanities.

> Don't insult your own intelligence; look into Linux, if only to check out
> what your like minded classmates and colleagues are talking about.   The
> first and most important step is to visit the website of the Linux Users'
> Group of Davis:  http://www.lugod.org.  Attend one of our installfests and
> get Linux placed on your hard drive.  We can install Linux right along side
> Windows.  Become part of our community.

Like-minded takes a hyphen.  Alongside is one word.

Setting aside the Grammar Queen hat for a moment, I think you miss two
persuasive arguments:
1) Cost.  XP costs what, $200?  That's $200 less for beer.  :)  No,
seriously, I have yet to meet a student not on a budget.
2) CS class programming is virtually always done in UNIX.  Tired of endless
days and nights in EU2's crowded, noisy, artifically-lit basement labs?
With a Linux system, you can get your work done from the comfort of your
own room.

Savings from not buying Microsoft Windows XP: -$200
Cost of Linux plus thousands of applications: $0
Cost of installing Linux at LUGOD's monthly installfests: $0
Having enough money to get pizza delivered while you program in the comfort
of your own home: priceless

--nicole twn

***
"This is a very hard class.  The projects are hard.  The homeworks are
hard.  You should all drop this class."--my networks professor