Re: [vox] the windows XP talk at UCD

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Nicole Carlson wrote:

> > >Zhen Fang a student consultant representing Microsoft Corporation is
> > >holding a tech talk on Windows XP.
              ^^^^
> They emphasized that it would be a tech-oriented talk.  As for the fact
> that the presenter was a student, so what?  MS hires students in techie
> capacities.  My pal Harold (CSE, same as me (but WAY smarter)) worked for
> MS as an undergrad, and in fact was one of the presenters at the Win2K talk
> (he was a student at the time).  What should have led us to expect a
> non-techie talk?
> I'm sure the presenter is a fine person; she was clearly not stupid, but
> either she wasn't qualified to give a tech talk or she did an /abyssimal/
> prep job.  Frankly, I strongly suspect the former; I mentioned this in my
> own write-up.  There's nothing wrong with being unqualified to give a tech
> talk [1]; there IS, I submit, something wrong with MS misrepresenting
> the nature of a talk to the presenter and the audience both.

Presumably, Zhen Fang also saw the announcement about what sort of talk
she would be giving.  I didn't attend the talk, but I have to wonder what
Fang was thinking.  From what I understand of the talk, it was a
non-technical _marketing_ presentation.  It sounds like she wasn't much of
a salesperson, either.  If she was, she might have been enthusiastic,
bubbly, and perhaps apologetic about her lack of technical knowledge of
the product.

She might have said something at the beginning of the talk
to the effect that she knew it was advertised as a tech talk, and though
she wouldn't be able to answer technical questions, she would take careful
notes of the questions and comments the audience had about the product,
and let M$ people know what the techies were interested in knowing more
about.

But from what I understand from the attendees, she demonstrated
little to no enthusiasm for the product, little or no concern about
what the techies wanted to know about the product, etc.  If she wasn't
prepared to do a marketing presentation, nor a technical presentation ...
what sort of presentation did she think she was giving?

If I was giving a talk where I thought my only purpose was to read slides
that I didn't understand to an audience, I would be inclined to suggest
that I simply pass out written packets with the slide information
on them, and provide contact information for whomever at M$ would be able
to answer their questions.  Unless there were blind attendees at the
"tech talk", I think it's safe to assume that the audience wasn't there
to have you read the text on the slides to them.

In conclusion, what was she thinking?!
Christine