January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] the windows XP talk at UCD

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 01:10:22PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> uhhh...
>
> the apple II was the true hacker's computer.
> the atari 2600 and gameboy are game machines.
> the ibm pc was good enough to launch the x86 architecture on a world tour
>     that has lasted 2 decades.
>
> whatever you've been smoking, bill, it's some powerful stuff.  you need to go
> easier on it.

It seems you missed the point here...  Nicole's point was: "marketing
typically wins over technology."  My post contained some good
examples of this fact.  Below are my reasonings:

  Apple II   - Very primitive compared to, eg: Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64.
               Only advantage was hardware extensibility (nice, open case
               with card-slots)

  Atari 2600 - Easily surpassed by, for example, Intellivision.
               Extremely low resolution, not very good sound.  Extremely
               limited cartridge (ROM) and storage (RAM) sizes.  But it
               lived on well into the 80s.

  GameBoy    - 4 greyscale, practically a piezo-buzzer for sound...
               A far fry from the 1000s of colors and stereo, digital sound
               and 8-player connectivity coming from _PEERS_ like the
               Atari Lynx, TurboGrafix16 and Sega Game Gear and Nomad.
               It only survived due to luck (bad decisions by its
               competitors) and marketing.  In the early 90s, the word
               "Nintendo" EQUALED "video games"
               ("Intendo", if you were a parent ;) )

  IBM PC     - The base architecture is horrid, especially for modern
               machines.  Like the Apple II, the eventual _openness_ of the
               architecture, plus IBM (and Microsoft's) marketing caused it
               to succeed while better systems (Amiga, Mac, NeXT) failed.

If it weren't for Linux, I'd probably have a Sun box or a Mac. :)

For more details on all this, just read some Usenet groups (for the
occasional classic computing system flamewars), some books on the history
of video games ("The First Quarter", "Zap: The Rise and Fall of Atari",
"Phoenix: The Fall and Rise of Video Games", etc.), or talk to Henry House
(he hates Intel, too ;) )

Simply stating I "must be smoking something" isn't really a very good
argument, Pete. :)  For shame!