Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:49:47 +0000
From: Doug Loss <drloss@home.com>
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] (FWD) Red Hat Proposes Alternative to Microsoft
 settlement
To: seul-edu@seul.org

Alan Chen wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 03:34:37PM -0800, Dan Kubilos wrote:
> >
> > Nice thread
> >
> > I am one of the "in the schools" people.
> >
> > I promote the h--- out of Gnu/Linux within my district and at other
> > venues.
> >
> > Biggest obstacle is lack of *ix ready technical people on campuses.
> >
> I've been running into that too. I think lack of a large pool of
> UNIX/Linux ready admins is one of the real concerns that schools have
> in going with an open source solution.  Irrespective of the initiative
> with microsoft, I think it would do us well to spend some time
> concentrating on training of current school administrators in open
> source.  Maybe in conjunction with local LUGS.  Maybe we should
> promote Linux by providing free/low-cost training sessions for school
> technology admins.

This is definitely where we need to work hand-in-hand with local LUGs.
That's the only feasible way to get the school techs up to speed on
Linux.  It's unreasonable to expect them to learn it by themselves in
any but a small handfull of instances.

Doug Loss
drloss@home.com

----- End forwarded message -----