Re: [vox] is this too much?, part 2

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> BTW:
>
>    http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/Linux/LinuxInstall.pdf
>
> See section 1.2, "Why Linux?"
>
> I found this document right from the CS homepage, under the link "Linux
> Help".

This is an interesting document.  I am not quite sure why Yet Another
Explanation Of How To Install Red Hat is needed though... a
one-or-two-page document describing what resources to refer to and
offering comments on what portions of those resources are outdated would
seem appropriate.  Or, given his audience, mentioning LUGOD would be good.
:)

One reason to avoid YAEOHTIRH is misinformation... I noticed what I think
is some erroneous information regarding M$ DEFRAG.EXE.  DEFRAG is pretty
simple... I think at least one version of Norton did move some files up
and others down, but I don't think the M$ DEFRAG will ever do so.  It
won't move hidden or system files at all, though, and while ferreting
those out is not hard if you know how... it can be mystifying if you
don't.  Dr. Matloff doesn't attempt to explain this process, so I can see
how he might be better off steering newbies to automated repartitioning
tools.  However, steering them away from DEFRAG entirely while
recommending FIPS is a disservice.

DIR /S /A:H C:\

shows all the problem files, and

ATTRIB -r -h -s filename.ext

lets you "unlock" a file.  It is probably not a bad idea to reset these
files to their original attribute settings when you are done with the
DEFRAG/FIPS.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing