Re: [vox] E-mail addresses munged on members page

Re: [vox] E-mail addresses munged on members page

* William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> [011110 16:04], about

:The string "MAPS" ('spam,' backwards) gets randomly inserted into each
:e-mail address (and respective "mailto:"; link surrounding it).

	This has always been a question of mine, whether spam harvesters
mainly gather addresses from the text dump of the page or even the mailto:s?
(Though I assume they're just interpreting source, so probably the latter,
with dupe checking?)

:FYI, in case people didn't realize this:  We're happy to list people on

	I have a different request: Please don't munge my address.  (or
munge it in a way that people can still mail me with it (which I can mention
off-list)).  You guys've made me curious where my address was harvested
from, I see i have the same address on the members page as was harvested, so
I'm curious, and I'd like to be able to watch/find out which gets harvested
in the future.

>-- End of excerpt from William Kendrick

Woa, when did you guys start doing URL tracking??  (I'm already pissed off
enough at freshmeat/yahoo for doing this!)  (I assume that's what
leaving.php is for?)

And that makes me think of another suggestion, what if you just put the
first (upto the @, or snip off like eGroups at some point), and then changed
the mailto into a eGroups/eBay/whoeverelse-style formmail?

(Or, if the whole thing's being dynamically generated, allow either!)

	I admit I may be spoiled because I don't get nearly as much spam as
some do.  And unfortunately I do get some at addresses that I try to keep
more private (which makes me curious where I slipped, but hey, whatever. ;).
I don't post on newsgroups or web forums either, so that might be part of
the reason I don't get much/any.  I'd suggest you all start munging your
addresses (in ways that are still valid, gimmicks might be the proper word)
if you're too paranoid.  (qmail might be really good for this, actually?)

oops, could be rambling.  late!

	-Ajay