Re: [vox] who here speaks french?

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

  > can someone translate this and email it to me?
  >

  > from http://avm.online.fr/bj_conv_datebook.html

Here is my attempt. My French is pretty rusty, and I used Babelfish to
lookup the words which had to do with technology. I *think* I got the
gist...

I was a little confused by the word "agenda," which translates as
"diary." I think everywhere "agenda" appears, they may be talking about
the an addressbook (for example Outlook or Lotus), but I'm not sure.

  > Jean-Paul :
  >
  > J'aurai besoin d'exporter en fin de mois mon agenda, pour pouvoir
trier les interventions que
  > j'ai faites en fonction de leur nature.
  >
  > Si j'essaye d'exporter l'agenda pour une éventuelle utilisation dans
Excel ou autre,
  > il ne veut exporter qu'en "Archives d'Agenda (*.dba), alors que
l'aide exporter parle d'une exportation txt,
  > mais ne me semble possible que pour le carnet d'adresses.
  >
  > Question : comment exporter ou trier l'agenda pour sortir une liste
sur papier ?

Jean-Paul:

I am going to need to export at the end of the month my addressbook in
order to sort my "interventions" which I make in the function of their
nature [whew, awkward, not really sure what he means here].

If I try to export the addressbook in order to eventually utilize in
Excel or another program, it only exports in the format "Addressbook
Archive (*.dba)". The online help for exporting says to export to text
(txt), but it only seems possible to read in the addressbook viewer.

Question: how can I export or sort the addressbook in order to print out
a list on paper?

Here is the response to the letter (the one quoted in Pete's original
email):

  > Exporter et trier l'agenda du Palm
  > retour à Bonjour,le Palm !
  >
  > Comme, hélas beaucoup d'agendas, le datebook du Palm communique mal avec
  > l'extérieur. Si tu veux « manipuler » les données de ton agenda, il
te faut
  > les faire aboutir dans un tableur : tu pourras, là, faire tous les tris,
  > permutations / ajouts de lignes ou de colonnes dont tu auras l'idée
ou le
  > besoin.
  >
  > Une manière d'aboutir dans un tableur, c'est d'avoir un conduit qui
  > synchronise les données du Palm avec un agenda capable d'exporter
sous le
  > format csv. C'est par exemple le cas des agendas Lotus et Outlook,
qui sont
  > très répandus. Les fichiers csv sont lues directement par un tableur
: elles
  > sont directement mises en tableau.

Exporting and sorting with the Palm addressbook...

Alas, with many addressbooks,the Palm datebook communicates poorly with
the outside world. If you want "to transfer" data from your addressbook,
use a spreadsheet program. You may add sortable lines which can be
permuted as you see fit into columns.

This method of importing into a spreadsheet, that is the conduit which
syncronizes the Palm data with an addressbook capable of exporting under
the format CSV. That is, for example, the case with Lotus and Outlook
agendas, which are disparate. The CVS files are readable by a
spreadsheet program, they are can be imported into a spreadsheet.

Hope this helps!

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net